Wednesday, July 16, 2008

From d"Matteis to the civil war

Well, my nephew and his girlfriend arrived safely... they were tired from the red-eye flight, of course. So, one took a nap, and the other drank more coffee.

We met at the Virginia Museum of Fine Art for lunch --ate in the midst of ancients and glory. If one cranned one's neck, one could see the d'Matteis from our table. Joel and I had spent time earlier this month at the d'Matteis exhibit, and found it both moving and worth while.

Joyful humility in lightness and a presumed innocence. Look what God can do. Look what people can do....

Lunch was good too--I had fresh pineapple and chicken curry sandwhich. Delicious.

I returned to work, celebrated mid-week mass, talked to folks arriving for a 12-step group, came home, ate dinner in the back yard, listened with deep joy to the June bugs. Then after dinner we took a twilight ride out to the east side of Richmond, and drove through the civil war forts and defensive earthworks. I find this place to be a melancholy place of great beauty and sadness. These massive ramparts cut and swell through the earth, connected by trenches which zigzag, dodging a long-dead threat. Trees and vines overwhelm the bitterness of the war remnants, sweeten the landscape littered with war debris hidden softly in humus and generations of fallen leaves.


It is equally strange that small suburban homes grow among these war ruins like mushrooms.

I am not sure what our guests thought. I know what I thought.

I hate war. But see what happens to even our most courageous follies....
Look what God can do even with our war toys....new life out of death.

2 comments:

FranIAm said...

Small suburban homes amongst the war ruins.

Deep sigh.

Some chicken curry and pineapple sounds good, a food prayer of sorts to ponder these thoughts with.

Peter Carey said...

This post really has me thinking...especially with all the battlefields around VA...

Peter+