Thursday, July 24, 2008

Not one thing will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus


This painitng is from Vincent Van Gogh's meditations on Thomas a Kempis's "Imitation of Christ"

The scriptures which keep surfacing for my sermon preparation this Sunday are thus:

From Romans --I don't think I could survive without these words: No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

And from Matthew: "Have you understood all this?" They answered, "Yes." And he said to them, "Therefore every scribe who has been trained for the kingdom of heaven is like the master of a household who brings out of his treasure what is new and what is old."

And the readings for today as we celebrate the life of Thomas a Kempis: "Blessed are you when people hate you, and when they exclude you, revile you, and defame you on account of the Son of Man. Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, for surely your reward is great in heaven; for that is what their ancestors did to the prophets.

Well dang. I guess that adds up. No moments of fantasy.... the Realm of God is hardly for the faint-hearted. Even those with feet of mud will learn to dance....

6 comments:

Grandmère Mimi said...

Margaret, those words from Paul in Romans have carried me over many a rough road. I thank God for them, too.

If you and Counterlight put together something on art and meditation, or whatever you have in mind, let me know. I may just travel to Virginia for something like that. His art is extraordinary.

Anonymous said...

I'll keep you posted Grandmere! (You know, you are both welcome here anytime --just to party. We don't HAVE to do anything religious!)

it's margaret

Grandmère Mimi said...

Margaret, how kind. Perhaps we could arrange a small gathering sometime with the folks in your vicinity. I'm thinking of Jane and Doxy and perhaps others.

it's margaret said...

I'm ready Grandmere! Maybe sooner rather than later. You have put a bee in my pocket! (I don't wear bonnets...)

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I'm another one who has relied on that passage of Romans many a time.

What a nice closing phrase: "Even those with feet of mud will learn to dance."

Grandmère Mimi said...

Margaret, take it and run. We'll see where you go.