Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Some thoughts on the parable ++Rowan employed

Now, I know that running a parable into all possible permutations of metaphor destroys the wide-open possibilities that parables offer us. However, I am disturbed that ++Rowan has used the parable of wheat and weeds in asking folks to stand down in the present "emission" from GAFCon. (I loved that ++KJS used that word--like the Jerusalem statement is a fart or something!) I am disturbed because it implies that he believes that someone--some "side" will eventually burn.

To employ this parable (with an agricultural mind--I did learn to drive a tractor before I learned to drive a car), --so the weeds are thrown to fire, and they burn. Great. But what happens to the wheat? --it is ground up into little bits, slapped and shaped into loaves and thrown into the oven to cook....as bread, to be eaten. Probably thrown into the same oven heated by the burning weeds.

So, weed or wheat, it's all to God's glory. Both are necessary to provide bread for the world.

And, I am just a weed all over. My name, Margaret, means "pearl of the roadside" --or wildflower. And that would be a weed indeed. And if I can catch fire and cook me some bread--well! There we are. Thanks be to God! I trust (pisteo--"believe" as in the Gospel of John) that God is doing more in all of this than any of us can ask or imagine. And will indeed redeem this whole mess.

In the meantime, I think ++KJS hit the nail on the head. The Jerusalem "emission" is about a constriction of the Gospel, power, and ultimately, we are called into relationships. The first two --to our peril; the third to our redemption and salvation. Wheat and weeds together. One not "more gooder" than the other, but in mutuality, both necessary if we are serious about providing living bread for the world.

4 comments:

FranIAm said...

Well put Margaret, brava.

When I am confronted with weeds and wheat, I am reminded that in the synoptic gospels we get a lot of the place and community appropriate "wheat and chaff" sort of metaphors. That is so much of what readers of Luke, Matthew and Mark would understand.

But then there is (pisteo!) John... Jesus keeps- well he keeps flinging those seeds everywhere! Seeds and more seeds.

Thus the wisdom perhaps in leaving it to lay where Jesus flang it.

Just my thought for today, should it make even a seed of sense.

pax.

it's margaret said...

Oh, it does make sense indeed! And keep slinging those seeds! And leave 'em lay where Jesus flang 'em. Yep!
Blessings franiam!

Counterlight said...

I really like the part about the wheat and weeds going into the same oven. That puts the parable in a whole new light.

BooCat said...

Ditto to what Counterlight said.