Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Stopping the hand grenades and seeing the living Christ

Well, I was very distressed last night at the slings and arrows being hurled about at Lambeth. So this morning I wrote my Bishops a letter. And I have emailed it to them. This is my letter:

July 23, 2008

My Dear Bishops,

Please know that you and all the Bishops are in our constant prayers as you attend this Lambeth Conference.

From this side of the pond we are receiving reports of deep and broad conflict, of The Rt. Rev. Gene Robinson's exclusion from a HOB meeting, the calls by 17 Provinces for his resignation, and The Rt. Rev. Iker's challenge to all American Bishops who support him to leave.

I hope and pray that much of this news is media sensationalism. Even so, it is what we are being fed from Lambeth portals; we have no other word.

I also hope and pray that you remember us in your prayers in that many of the congregation at St. ------- personally identifies with the discipleship of Bishop Robinson, and that what is happening to him is happening to many of us. We are not so much interested at this point in the politics, cultural conflict and maneuvering as we are concerned that the dehumanizing language from Bishops in the church we call home desist. I fully realize that there is not much that you can personally do to stop it; I merely hope that you will remember us, and speak and weep for us and with us in light of these words which are as brutal as any nail or spear which pierced human flesh.

Yours in Christ,
Margaret

Tonight, I was encouraged to see that Bishop Jones does indeed understand the violence being done. I found this quote at Episcopal Life Online:
David Jones, suffragan bishop of Virginia, said, "We need to talk, but we're not going to solve the problems by throwing hand grenades. We need to see the living Christ in each other."

Thank you Bishop --yes indeed. Not slings and arrows but grenades. I hope my Bishops will find a way to speak out against the hand grenades. And see the living Christ in one and all.

6 comments:

MadPriest said...

In all my time on the Internet I have never come across one liberal, radical, progressive or even bog-standard, middle of the road Anglican, who has threatened to leave the Church or asked others to leave. Yet the bishops continue to come out with these platitudes that compare us as like for like.

The fact is that those who wish to exclude gay people and their supporters from full membership of the Anglican Church are wrong. There is no middle way. Either we are inclusive or we are not. And for true Anglicans this will mean including those who are not inclusive as well as our gay brothers and sisters. Therein lies the difference.

Talking will not achieve anything quick enough to stop the further suffering of the excluded. So the bishops should stop talking and get on with it - whatever "it" is.

FranIAm said...

You know that Mad Priest, he can be so brilliant and the above is such a good example of that.

Prayers for all.

it's margaret said...

Yes MP--I believe you are right. I have not heard one "progressive" asking others to leave the table.

And, in the meantime, the sing-song "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" is a blatant lie. People are truly suffering with the abuse being hurled about.

That one of my three Bishops finally felt the grenades of the words is very heartening.

It is time for all the words and speeches to stop and for full inclusion to be a reality; I am not at all hopeful that the Bishops of VA will do anything until the law suits come to some kind of a conclusion, and that could be years. And years.

I am so far beyond being ready to act.....

Sue said...

Bless you and your congregation for your insistence upon justice and inclusion. It is long past the time when the body of Christ ought to be talking about inclusion - the time is now to practice the inclusion and love that Christ calls us to live.

Crimson Rambler said...

And there are way, way, way, WAY more sticks and stones, and midnight abusive phone calls, and harassment, and hate mail, and threats...being bandied..in both (or, indeed, ALL) directions, all the time, alas...than we wot of, despite the media. Any perceived haggardness and pallor in the ranks of the episcopate is fully explicable...

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Thanks for writing your letter and for sharing what your bishop is saying.