Sunday, July 27, 2008

I hate war

Well, it's Sunday night.... Joel & I drove my nephew to DC right after church. Long drive --encountered a real hunker of a storm, bad traffic. Got there safe --went to the FDR Memorial at the bottom of the Mall --beyond and off to the side of the green space between the Capitol and the Lincoln Memorial surrounded by our national museums and other memorials.


While some of the memorials on the mall are majestic, a few have too much ballyhoo to the glory of war. But the FDR Memorial is strikingly different. It is a meditation of rigid granite, flowing water and angular but soft green growing things,


with special attention paid to those with disabilities, and dedicated to those who have little and mostly do without. All of the inscriptions in the walls are accompanied by braille. And then there is this inscription:


"I have seen war. I hate war."

I felt this place was my place, my voice on the mall in the midst of all the ballyhoo.

It was a funny sense of belonging for me, as I am usually not in sync with the sub-text of my own nation. It was a calming end to a day which felt harried and drawn and stretched --you see, I checked my email between church services.... I usually don't. But in my inbox was a response from one of my Bishops to a letter I wrote earlier this week (found below). His response was gracious, saying he would bring the pain of St. ------'s to his Bible study group, his indaba group, with him in all his conversations. And he asked for my continued prayers as this coming week would be very difficult for "the Americans."

My heart sank as I read this. My first thought was --so, all the rumor and innuendo are true.... But, then, I thought --good. I am glad my Bishop knows our pain. And it IS difficult. So, I wrote him back directly --saying I would keep him and all the Bishops in my prayers. And then said simply and pointedly --please don't abandon us.

I hate war. And I hate war in the church most of all.

It is too bad that image is not bigger. It's really gross. It is the essence of what is happening.

Pray for the Church. Pray for our Communion. Set aside for just a little while the hurt and anger and fear and all that other stuff.... Pray that the Spirit will indeed move through Lambeth. And be assured that God will redeem it all.

4 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

This is a powerful post, Margaret. I had not connected the conflict in the church to the issue of war.

I read your comment on my blog. Here is how to embed links:

When you are writing, there is a set of formatting codes in the top bar (boldface, italic, etc.)

Look for the one that looks like a chain link. It is the sixth one from the left, to the right of the thing that looks like a T with a rubics cube. (That's your button to change the color of a font.)

Type someone's name, say Ruth.

Then highlight it.

While it is highlighted, click on the chain link icon.

Then a box will pop up with a place to type the blog page address. type it in: http:rhchatlienblog.blogspot.com Hit return or enter. Voila, you have created a link to a blog.

Do you know how to have two windows open at the same time? If you do, the easiest thing is have one window open where you go to the other blogs. That way you can just copy the address and paste it into the box.

it's margaret said...

Thank you Ruth!

afeatheradrift said...

This saddens me greatly. As one about to make the leap from Catholicism to Anglicanism on just issues such as these, I am sorely tried that the Episcopal church faces the same issues, albeit in a less black and white way. In Catholicism, as you know, to be against homophobic realities is to be in dissent, plain and simple. Still the fact that the American church is under such fire by traditionalists is sobering.

Grandmère Mimi said...

In our hurried and frenzied few days in DC during our only visit there, we missed the Roosevelt monument. I'm sorry. It looks like my kind of place.

Lambeth as farce is how I see it at the moment. Will it get better or worse before it ends? I don't know.