Tuesday, July 29, 2008

William Wilberforce

Collect for July 30th: Let your continual mercy, O Lord, kindle in your Church the never-failing gift of love, that, following the example of your servant William Wilberforce, we may have grace to defend the poor, and maintain the cause of those who have no helper; for the sake of him who gave his life for us, your Son our Savior Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

He worked to end the slave trade in England. God bless him for that. All the moral crusade stuff --well, never mind. Just strikes me the wrong way in our current context, what with him being an evangelical and all.... Sorry, it just does.


--can't help but say it --what a cutie!

2 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

What a coincidence. My post today is about the recent movie about him--Amazing Grace--and I had no idea he was remembered today.

Yeah, he was a cutie but the actor who played him is cuter. LOL

Grandmère Mimi said...

Nice, Margaret. At least you received one comment, which is more than I got. Some of the feast days are "must do" posts for me. I feel obligated. Wilberforce is one of them. They're often not popular. A joke would bring more comments.

I bought Amazing Grace, but I have not watched it yet.