Friday, August 19, 2011

Biggest Baddest Best Yard SALE EVAH

Here it is --better than Christmas Eve...


Bookcases galore, lamps, chairs... --shtuff --even my cross-country skis --Peltonens, poles and boots --with my matching back-country ski pants. Weird bright color so if I were lost, I would be easy to spot --you know... 25 miles back in the lumber roads in the Pacific Northwest... always carried my little stove, Peet's coffee and fig newtons.... oh yeah! --Joel says --what if we end up in New Hampshire or something... and I said, I'll figure out the skis when we get there!


Silver punch bowls, pewter coffee pot, grandma's bowl and pitcher that I've used at Maundy Thursday services, and ashtray from Jerusalem... neither of us smoke....


...luggage, Christmas wrapping paper --oh --my ping pong paddle not even out of the wrapper!



The stuff got too close in the living room --we'll haul the big stuff out on the porch --this stuff is in the kitchen waiting to be hauled out...


And this is the last gasp from the basement --the camping equipment, the yard tools... the closet kit.... Actually, I think this stuff has been breeding --all on its own. Surely in 30 years of marriage we haven't accumulated So. Much. Stuff!!!

--or, maybe we have...

Yes. We have. But it is not the sum of our lives. Incarnational --but surely not the sum.... Actually --this winnowing down has been kinda exciting --in a very strange way --all the stuff has stories --but we keep the stories, and can give the stuff away.

I am reminded of that scene in the movie, The Mission --the guy has dragged the stuff up the cliff... that long, difficult, dangerous cliff...

So, this is what I am doing this fine Saturday. Lightening our load. Learning to carry the stories in a whole new way....

From morning prayer, a portion of Psalm 144

O LORD, what are we that you should care for us? *
mere mortals that you should think of us?
We are like a puff of wind; *
our days are like a passing shadow.

There we are... Peace out.

7 comments:

Ann said...

We are off to Wyoming on Monday to do the same - looks like our house is going to sell - still have appraisal and final bank stuff - tho the bank pre-approved them. Labor Day weekend will be laboring to get rid of things we can't move to Oregon. There is grief and gladness. Time to lighten the load. (isnt' that a song?)

Grandmère Mimi said...

Oooh, if I were there, I'd be tempted to give Grandma's pitcher and bowl a good home. I already have two old pitchers and bowls. Why should I have three? I shouldn't, so I'm glad I'm not there.

God bless you.

IT said...

Margaret, why, if so many things have accompanied you through thick-n-thin of so many years around the country, why now did you decide to make your packs so light before you take to the road?

ROBERTA said...

love that line - 'lightening our load, learning to carry the stories in a whole new way.'

as one who declutters professionally it's a beautiful grasp of letting go of that which does not give us life.

Malinda said...

My JW original bookcase is situated just behind me in my work-room, full now with books of mine and yours happily co-mingled.

it's margaret said...

Ann --Go with God -it's an adventure, for sure!

Grandmere --good thing you don't live near-by. I would walk the bowl and pitcher over to you! heheheheh.

IT --it's hard to describe --it's just time. Perhaps it's more than just hitting the road --it's because we've looked death in the face four times this year what with Joel in the ICU and all --and that kind of thing puts a new clarity in it all... However, Joel did sit at the bottom of the stairs and told all the stories to people as they carried the shtuff away! It made it a good thing all the way 'round.

Indeed Roberta --indeed. Life in a whole new way.

it's margaret said...

Malinda --we couldn't have done it without you --THANK YOU!!!!

And watch out --the books you got from us are breeders --they make more books when they get close to other books --just sayin'.