Friday, June 8, 2012

--dreams come with many cares....

I saw several Lark Buntings. I didn't know they were Lark Buntings, so now I have looked them up.... (yes, we are keeping a list, but the sighting doesn't count unless we both see 'em.) I kept saying to Joel --Look, look --a black bird with white wings... but he didn't see 'em.... We were out on the road, and he insisted that perhaps I was seeing Red-winged Black Birds, but I said I could tell the difference between red shoulders and white wings....

Here is the Redwinged Black Bird












And to the right is the Lark Bunting. See what I mean?

(See All About Birds here.)

Redwinged Black Birds stay around during the winter. I mean --wow... having experienced a 'mild' winter here myself, I don't know how a little bird withstands minus-zero temperatures, or finds food through the snow. Lark Buntings go to Mexico --and change into drab brown birds. That is amazing --do they lose all their feathers and grow new ones, or do the existing feathers change?

Totally. Amazing.

I am still actively looking for a magpie. Although, --I thought that was just a name for me...
Black-billed Magpies are familiar and entertaining birds of western North America. They sit on fenceposts and road signs or flap across rangelands, their white wing patches flashing and their very long tails trailing behind them. This large, flashy relative of jays and crows is a social creature, gathering in numbers to feed at carrion. They’re also vocal birds and keep up a regular stream of raucous or querulous calls.
Perhaps it was an appropriate name for me.... Yellow-billed magpies are native to my own California, and I don't think I 've ever seen one.

I did find something unwanted yesterday --prairie cactus. I kept hearing about it --and how one has to pick the tines out of one's shoes...

Prairie cactus --right in our own backyard

It is nobodies friend. I dug it out and threw it away. I was tempted to throw it right where the guys get drunk and poop and throw their garbage... but, I didn't....

And then somebody warned me about sand burrs.... But, sand burrs are not particular to the prairie. I know how they like to find their way between the toes and whatnot....

I had wanted a small garden this year --a few tomato plants and peas or beans or squash of some sort... you know.... But, it seems that I will be tending cactus and burrs and looking at birds instead....

At prayer this morning (Ecclesiastes 5:1-3)
Guard your steps when you go to the house of God;
--lest they be full of prairie cactus and sand burrs and the like...
to draw near to listen is better than the sacrifice offered by fools; for they do not know how to keep from doing evil.
--I am striving to listen as never before... it's all so different here....
Never be rash with your mouth, nor let your heart be quick to utter a word before God, for God is in heaven, and you upon earth; therefore let your words be few.

For dreams come with many cares, and a fool’s voice with many words.
--I can take a hint. Peace out!

PS: I am still going to dream that the hedge outside my window might be huckleberries!

8 comments:

Nij said...

We, this has been a lively week in this blog and it has been challenging (a good thing). Have always been fascinated by ideas of the Trinity and so I dug out the stuff from a course on the Trinity at Merrimack. (how to kill a morning:>)After a flood of theories and history, I found a poem that I had used as a Reflection at the end of my final paper. Maybe praxis born of all the technicalities....

At times I have wondered if God is a form or if
He is a great faceless power, a creative force
And the question troubles me in the abstract.
And then I remember that He once took on the form of a man, with face and hands.
Now I walk along the street and look into the eyes.....I see so many eyes for God to smile in....
So many hearts for God to cry in,
So many minds for God to think in, that I wonder again if He needs a form of His own.
Perhaps we are the form that He takes. Perhaps this is the part of Himself that He has given to us.
Perhaps we are the faces of God.
(The Gift) DePree
If the thought has any merit, surely you and Joel, and your work there are part of those images.
nij

Joel said...

God, I SHOULD take the hint!!!

Kathryn said...

You've made this singing, stubble-jumping Saskatchewan girl a bit homesick. I remember the redwinged blackbirds. And the cacti! Do yours flower? Used to be May or June, I think. Bright pink-purple flowers.

Here in England we have rhymes for magpies.

Nij said...

Gee Joel, I thought u had already:)
Nij

it's margaret said...

Kathryn --I don't know if the cacti flower --I will keep an eye out for them --I dug these up and threw them away, sorry to say.

Nij --heheheheh!

JCF said...

I am still going to dream that the hedge outside my window might be huckleberries!

Oh, for your sake, I hope your dream comes true! Huckleberries, Mmmmmm....

motheramelia said...

When a mockingbird arrives, you will know. First encountered them in So Cal. They are territorial and will dive-bomb people who get too close to their nests. Also, they have amazing abilities to mock creatures like cats.

Paula said...

Yellow-billed magpies. Gorgeous bird with a long tail. They'd congregate in my front yard in Sacramento. :) I hope you get to see the black-billed kind!

I so enjoy the pictures you create with your writing, Margaret.

Your Friend Paula