Monday, June 11, 2012

--saw some buffalo too

Beautiful day yesterday --after three nights of the most horrific storms imaginable. There's nothing here to stop the winds.... a couple of tornadoes round about --not in Eagle Butte, but in other communities I serve. One lady of the Eagle Butte church --St. John's, spoke of how she had to pull off the road and golf ball size and bigger hail were striking the car she was driving --huge dents all over, and a wind shield broken in several places. Fortunately, it was a rental car while her car is in the shop....

Before I begin the sermonizing, I ask folks what they heard --and folks are really contributing --makes me happy --and then I began the sermonizing, and to begin I talked briefly about a young robin hopping around our yard because it had been blown out of the nest and it was almost but not quite ready to fly... a kid raised his hand and told of how a baby bird had fallen in the school yard and someone stepped on it.... That was a little challenging to incorporate in to the sermon....

And then we drove out to Cherry Creek, and sat in the sun for an hour because no one came... and Joel figured out how to ring the bell and scared Mr. Witty and Deacon laughed and laughed. Met a man and his two nephews, they were out on their bikes and the uncle was going to show them his secret fishing hole and I said, but then it won't be secret any more, and he said, I was their age when someone showed me --it's time to show them. And then he asked us over for coffee the next time we come to town. So, I shall make it a point to go see them....

Then we took a road that traversed up the ridge out of the river valley... a road that had a sign --No Maintenance, Proceed at Own Risk.... and there were so many wild flowers it was breathtaking --and then lifting one's eye, one could see forever --from the minute to the infinite.... Saw some buffalo too....

We got home late, and I resumed my beading --wanting to get this lanyard done....


--and it is nearly so.... now just have to figure out how to design a medallion that the cross will dangle from --was wanting to do a star medallion, but won't have time before Wednesday when I will leave for Niobrara Convocation --the 139th convention of the Native American churches in this region --a kind of 'flying' diocese I suppose, but fully incorporated in to the life of the Diocese of South Dakota. The Presiding Bishop will be there, rumor is so will Bonnie Anderson --and many of us who will not fork over $270 dollars to stay in the hotel rooms will be in tents.... I will be among them.... hoping and praying that they will both come down to the campground for coffee... and that we do not get any righteous thunderstorms.

At prayer this morning (Ecclesiasticus 31.3-4)
A rich man toils to amass a fortune,
and when he relaxes he enjoys every luxury.
A poor men toils to make a slender living,
and when he relaxes he finds himself in need.
whooops --there we are!

6 comments:

Caminante said...

You made that lanyard? It's gorgeous!

How do we get the word to the PB and PHOD that a lot of people will be tenting? (Economy measure but also closer to the gospel experience.)

harvey said...

Back when I was at a Niobrora Convocation, a motel was $29.95!
Wonderful memories.

Harvey said...

I remember fondly my time at a Niobrora Convocation. I had no tent, but a motel was $29.95.

JCF said...

Lanyard is kewl!

it's margaret said...

Caminante --yes, I made it. And I have no idea how to get word to either!!!

Harvey, now the 'discounted' rate is $70 plus taxes etc. I'll be staying in a tent for $15 --it is at Fort Yates this year, on the Standing Rock Reservation. I am really looking forward to it --and have no idea what to expect!

Thanks JCF.

Mary-Cauliflower said...

Will be thinking of you all and hoping that you are remembered and acknowledged as a community of tenters.