Saturday, June 30, 2012

so many gifts

Going in to sun dance today. We will walk in to the fourth day of the dance, when by this time many of the dancers are so parched their faces show it with drawn cheeks and crusted lips. They may be beyond hunger pains at this point. It's a challenging day to pray... when someone is giving themselves so bodily in prayer... for the people.

Last night, we celebrated with the good folks from far away who have been working so hard on the church at On the Tree, and offering a bible camp here in town. How a people who have so little can give so very much.... A quilt for every man working on the church, beaded work for all the women. One quilt --the star was made of tipis. It was given to the man who lead with experience and imagination the restructuring of the foundation and sills at the church. Amazing work, that.

There was a prayer offered in Lakota and then English --I wish I could remember all he said, but I was moved to tears.

And then a song (which is also and always prayer) was offered --and it was powerful --Thank you Great Spirit, Grandfather, for my family and relatives; have pity on us. It is hard to be Lakota.

The children that were there ran and laughed and cried and played hard --adding their own prayers in that way.

More tears. More thanksgiving. Lots of hand-shaking. We ended the evening with singing the Doxology --in English and Lakota together --it was wonderful. A joyful noise before Grandfather.

At prayer this morning (Psalm 107:33-43)

The LORD changed rivers into deserts, *
and water-springs into thirsty ground,
A fruitful land into salt flats, *
because of the wickedness of those who dwell there.
He changed deserts into pools of water *
and dry land into water-springs. 
He settled the hungry there, *
and they founded a city to dwell in.
They sowed fields, and planted vineyards, *
and brought in a fruitful harvest.
He blessed them, so that they increased greatly; *
he did not let their herds decrease. 
Yet when they were diminished and brought low, *
through stress of adversity and sorrow,
(He pours contempt on princes *
and makes them wander in trackless wastes)
He lifted up the poor out of misery *
and multiplied their families like flocks of sheep. 
The upright will see this and rejoice, *
but all wickedness will shut its mouth.
Whoever is wise will ponder these things, *
and consider well the mercies of the LORD.

Amen. Amen. Amen.
Off I go.
Alleluia!
Wopila!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Margaret, I just wanted to take the time to thank you for your blog. It is the first thing I go to in the morning. It makes my day. Thank you for sharing your life and your experiences with your congregation so generously with all of us out there in cyberspace. Please keep it up.
Fondly, Ruth

it's margaret said...

thank you Ruth. Blessings abound.

RomeLover said...

Margaret...I got very used to reading you every day. You guided me through daily readings AND theological reflection. Now, I am overwhelmed with First World problems of...stuff. I read your blog in reverse, when I can. Still, you inspire and encourage and call me to account.
Even backwards. Amazing.

I am newly embarking on the road of being 'splergy.' My husband is a new deacon in your old diocese. I have a fair idea of what to expect, but reality keeps adding layers of....stuff.

So reading you is balm for stressed souls, at least this one. Because you give me hope that I can find my way to making a difference. Somewhere, with My Beloved....although we are beginning ministry 2 miles from our home!

I am going to put my vote in for you to write a book. Surely, God has given you a gift.

shalom....
Chrissie

it's margaret said...

thank you and bless you Chrissie --and as you embark in this new time of your life and marriage, please know you are in my prayers. There's nothing easy about being a clergy spouse --so be very conscious in taking care of yourself and finding time together.

Bless you in every way.