Tuesday, June 19, 2012

--to whom do you look to learn love like that?

--and then the other side....

The other day, while I was sitting in some one else's house, a young woman came to beg. Her brother stayed in the corner of the yard. The young woman showed us, almost bragging, her bruises on her arms and legs, where she had been beaten by her brother and mother. My host refused her petition as the young woman was drunk.

I am fairly certain she would get more beatings for returning from that venture empty-handed. I vowed to go to the police and report it.

And then, recently, I heard the tale of a woman being beaten by her husband with a pipe, it being forced between her upper and lower jaw until she feared for her life... the police were called, and arrived and intervened.... But, then the police let the husband go.

I am fairly certain that in both instances, the women would not and probably did not press charges. No matter what, you don't betray your family -your brother, your mother, the father of your children to the cops....

I don't know whether the root cause of accepting the brunt of the violence is hope --that things will get better (I really doubt that, except in a very skewed way, because that is called denial, not hope), or if it is despair --why bother, whatever I do might make it all worse....

Perhaps I should give her this:




Maybe I should invite her to come speak at the church --at the community center... anywhere here....

From our dear brother, Paul, writing to the Romans,

For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. Ever since the creation of the world his eternal power and divine nature, invisible though they are, have been understood and seen through the things he has made.

What can be know about God has been plain since creation....

The other day, some one asked me why God saved Cain.... I said it was love beyond our wildest dreams.

And they walked away in disgust....

----dang....

--I just lost the last two paragraphs.... guess it's time to get to work.

I had written something about learning to love one's self, and learning to love God that lead us in to the place where we can love our enemies... I wrote something about surviving winter here --one can't just go out and do it, one must learn to survive winter... same thing with loving one's enemies... one must learn to do it.... And where are our Master Lovers? --yes, Jesus... but, any one alive today, at this present moment? --yes, Jesus... I mean someone you can pinch....

So... to whom do you look to learn love like that??

Peace out.

3 comments:

Joel said...

Your own backyard my Love.... And their little dogs too...? But that is so hard to watch one wants to walk away in disgust too. Crucifixion is disgusting, and just to stay and watch is a sword through the heart, but it is a sharing in that very Love that saved Cain and all of us, and that very Cross through Whom the worlds were made before the foundation of the world.

it's margaret said...

yeah.... love you too ol' man.

JCF said...

God can save even those who don't want to be saved.

I'm not sure we poor sinners can.

But we can pray.

For victims of addiction, codependency and violence: Good Lord, deliver them!