Friday, July 13, 2012

Context, not text...

At prayer this morning (from Romans 10)

For Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.

Moses writes concerning the righteousness that comes from the law, that “the person who does these things will live by them.” But the righteousness that comes from faith says, “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’” (that is, to bring Christ down) “or ‘Who will descend into the abyss?’” (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead). But what does it say?

“The word is near you,
on your lips and in your heart”

When I really settle in and think about/with Paul, my mind explodes... the end of the law out of the mouth of a repentant enforcer... not doing but believing from a doer... ascending in to heaven is to bring Christ down, and descending into the abyss is to bring Christ up... I love mystery koans... but most especially I love this re-affirmation, after all that other stuff, that the word (perhaps it should have been capitalized?) is in/on/near us...

Talk about context... not text.

We sat outside to drink our coffee this morning. Some birds were dive-bombing some dogs in the field behind our house. The dogs were standing up on their hind legs --jumping and snapping at the birds. The meadow lark stood on top of one of the Calvary poles in the field, and its song sounded like it was being electrically amplified. It was so loud, we nearly had to stop talking. The people in the houses came outside, scratched, slammed car doors, laughed. Some were walking through the field to the path by the house that goes to the Tribal offices and then downtown.

Yesterday, while I was mowing, I got behind the cedar tree and threw back over the fence all the beer cans that had been dumped on our side of the fence at the base of the tree. And I prayed for the family that turned down my offer of yard work even though they keep asking for money... marveled at those who came looking for work at the sound of the mower... grateful for the guys who are working off their community service time helping out at the hot lunch program who came and just took the mower from me and began working... grateful for the guy who saw me out working in the heat and brought me an ice cold coke... pondering those white guys who pulled up in the big truck and asked where the barbershop was (I guess someone six feet tall and with no boobs might be a fair target for such a question--but I did have my hair pulled back in a pink bandanna)... I think they were surprised and embarrassed when I looked at them and said in a girly voice --I don't have a clue!

And, two guys over the fence this morning --greeting each other --some conversation --and then one said --Oh! It's Friday. Thanks!

Yeah. When the light lasts in the sky past 10PM and begins to fill the sky again at 4AM --when the events of the day pass without even looking at a clock --when church services and meetings and everything begin when everyone generally gets there, no matter what time the clock says any way... time unravels to the larger events --the birds come back --the cottonwoods bloom --the choke cherries ripen --the moon....

Chronos --the measurement of time, is so unnecessary.

There is nothing but Kairos --the occasion-at-hand time, party time, God's time...

The _____ is near you, on your lips and in your heart.

No. It is not a capital "w" word Paul was seeking...

It's that ordinary event that becomes filled with significance, meaning....

--when there is no text or subtext....

Only. God.
Ground of being... context....
--for lack of a better word/thought....

Christ is always coming down and being brought up. Always. Ascending and descending. To be present among us. Always near us. Always. In every way.

Amen.

4 comments:

cloud-hidden, whereabouts unknown said...

ἀλλὰ τί λέγει indeed! ἐγγύς σου τὸ ῥῆμά ἐστιν... I had NEVER noticed that use by Paul before!!! Thanks My Love!

Paula said...

I'm embarrassed to say that my husband (5 foot 8) often wears a pink bandanna. I wish he would stop it. I tell him he looks like a washerwoman. ;D

I now have a better picture of you, Margaret. :) How lovely you must be! Your posts always warm my day. ~Thy friend Paula

it's margaret said...

my love --I almost asked you --but, there you are. It ain't capital "w" word after all... just as well, since I left it out at the end to fill in according to context... or something like that. Love you.

Paula --your husband and I could really confuse some folks, heh?!

Nij said...

At last!! Someone who knows the kinds of time! It pops into my head sometimes that there are 3, Chronos, Kairos and WHAT is the third one??? Take pity on this old one and tell me, what is the third one? Or am I just rattling my brains from time to time trying to remember a third one and there may be only 2?

Thank you in advance, if you r smiling, just pray for us old 'uns!
heh, heh

Beautiful posts recently Margaret.........
nij