Tuesday, July 10, 2012

they dug the wrong grave hole!

--well, yesterday, lining up in the church parking lot to process behind the hearse, a government vehicle backed up and smacked in the front of my car... I couldn't go forward because of the hearse, I couldn't go backwards because of the line behind me. I could only sit there and scream and honk the horn.

...sigh... And, because it was a government vehicle, we had to call the police and all.... I feel so vulnerable. Like the deck is stacked against me. My own insurance company assured me that the whole fault lay with the one backing up... but still. The last thing I want to do is take on the government --if you know what I mean.

And, then, getting to the graveyard... a grave had been dug, but it was in the wrong place... the guy whose place it was --well, he got teased unmercifully. We waited for about an hour for the backhoe to come the 40 miles back out the dirt road to the cemetery. And the teasing didn't stop the whole time. It made the wait pleasant --and the funeral director had brought a whole cooler of ice cold water --so it was a fine way to spend an hour --on the top of a hill, overlooking a river valley full of cottonwood trees and the small wooden church out in the field, we, among the saints, laughing.

Imagine showing up for a burial, and finding your own grave dug!!!!

There is always something to make one laugh during a funeral in these parts. It is seen as a mercy from the Spirit --and so one laughs, and contributes what one can to the laughter. And as we finally got the proper hole dug and the coffin well in to it, the two small boys who had found something new to play with chortled and ran off in circles, and it brought the whole company of adults to stop and smile again and thank God that while we put one generation to rest, another was moved by the Spirit to be in joy.

Thanks be to God.

And, so, today, some of us will gather in the church here in Eagle Butte and pray the Lament of the Doctrine of Discovery at generally the same time as those who will gather at General Convention to do the same. Deacon is carrying the church's Repudiation resolution from 2009 over to the Tribal Council here --just to let them know what we are doing. And, I have decided this will not be a one time deal, but that those who show will continue to act and pray for reconciliation, seeking a new way forward --grass roots right here in ground zero.

At least, that is my prayer. (Romans 8:31-39)

What then are we to say about these things? If God is for us, who is against us? He who did not withhold his own Son, but gave him up for all of us, will he not with him also give us everything else? Who will bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? It is Christ Jesus, who died, yes, who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who indeed intercedes for us. Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will hardship, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written,

“For your sake we are being killed all day long;
we are accounted as sheep to be slaughtered.”

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
I, too, am convinced of that.

I just wish we could lay down the language of 'conquerors' and all that....

Just dreamin'.
amen.

6 comments:

Catherine said...

A delightful yet moving post, Margaret+. Thank you for your gift of insight and writing.

it's margaret said...

Thank you Catherine. Blessings m'dear.

Grandmère Mimi said...

Oh margaret! Smashed in by the government! Is it a metaphor?

I hope incident with your smashed-in car gets settled without stress.

And the wrong grave dug. Never a dull moment, eh?

Anonymous said...

When we got to the cemetery to inter my mother's ashes, my father said that the hole was in the wrong place. The cemetery guy said it was right so we proceeded. But I knew my Dad and I knew that he was right.

When the minister said "...lay Pat in her final resting place..." I got a fit of giggles because I knew that it was not "final" because on Monday they were going to be out there digging her up and putting her in the right place.

it's margaret said...

Grandmere --OMG --perhaps it is a metaphor!!! I have the feeling that because we are dealing with the govt... it will be long and painful and drawn out.... sigh. And yeah --never a dull moment!

Anonymous, what a story! Yep --always something to keep us laughing! May your mother Rest in Peace. Now.

Caminante said...

Cheez... a double-whammy. How many funerals now have you officiated? I have lost count. That unto itself has got to be soul-wearying.