Friday, November 9, 2012

even in the mundane

All the thermometers say it's 29 outside.... Mr. Witty and I went out quickly while the coffee was preparing, but didn't stay long. We both slipped on the wooden step by the garage. I think it is a day to hunker down.... But I have a funeral to prepare for....
Friday
Overcast with ice pellets and a chance of rain, then ice pellets and a chance of snow in the afternoon. Fog early. High of 39F with a windchill as low as 16F. Breezy. Winds from the ESE at 15 to 25 mph with gusts to 30 mph. Chance of precipitation 40% .
Friday Night
Overcast with a chance of snow and a chance of rain. Fog overnight. Low of 32F with a windchill as low as 25F. Breezy. Winds from the East at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of snow 70%.
Saturday
Overcast with snow. Fog early. High of 36F with a windchill as low as -4F. Windy. Winds from the NNW at 20 to 30 mph with gusts to 40 mph. Chance of snow 80% with accumulations up to 2 in. possible.
Saturday Night
Overcast with a chance of snow in the evening, then mostly cloudy. Low of 10F with a windchill as low as -9F. Windy. Winds from the NW at 20 to 35 mph with gusts to 45 mph. Chance of snow 30%.

I used to hear forecasts like that and shake my head --why would anyone live in such a place?

Now I know.... An elemental part of me delights in such weather --it's time to be still, time to tap in to the vulnerabilities of being alive, time to wonder in awe without confidence, time to remember how dependent we are upon each other.

And that gives me great comfort. A strange comfort, yes, but comfort. Not for my own sake --but for the sake of all --we can remember, together, the best parts of being human. All around town there are doors that are being opened to relatives --the guys I know on the street, or those that hang out by the cedar tree will have a roof over their heads because their mother's sister's granddaughter will make a place for him.

So, while the temperature drops, the human heart will warm and be pushed ever more in to that realm....

However.... thinking about the funeral..... {{{{shudder}}}} -4 windchill in the snow.
(That would be -20C for those thinking in Celsius.)

But, first there is today --and I have managed to accomplish those mundane things --fix the heater in the parish hall and find a plumber to fix the leak (someone turned the air conditioner on and the line to the condenser froze and the furnace was a lump of ice which didn't work when it finally thawed). And I have a few more mundane things to do (the vacuum --oh, never mind... let's just say I will be the one to clean the church today).

So, off I go....

At prayer this morning (Canticle: Second Song of Isaiah 55:6-11)

Seek the Lord while he wills to be found; *
call upon him when he draws near.
Let the wicked forsake their ways *
and the evil ones their thoughts;
And let them turn to the Lord, and he will have compassion, *
and to our God, for he will richly pardon.
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, *
nor your ways my ways, says the Lord.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth, *
so are my ways higher than your ways,
and my thoughts than your thoughts.
For as rain and snow fall from the heavens *
and return not again, but water the earth,
Bringing forth life and giving growth, *
seed for sowing and bread for eating,
So is my word that goes forth from my mouth; *
it will not return to me empty;
But it will accomplish that which I have purposed, *
and prosper in that for which I sent it.
--in all the ways 'He' wills to be found.... Even in the mundane.... Amen.

2 comments:

Nij said...

Yes, Margaret! Here is one reader who appreciates the elemental aspects of the elements :). when we lived in the northern part of the state and before global warming turned snow to instant slush, I loved every snow storm, especially at night. I would bundle up, call our collies, and off into the storm we would go! stirring and wonderful, with the dogs chasing snowballs. somehow very exciting, like striding along with Mother Nature alone in the world as almost no people or cars!

another rich elemental feast was finding a huge field of ripe wheat on a beautiful sunny day and playing hide and seek with the dogs (the wheat was over
their heads) as in a golden forest. It was like finding the best and most exciting parts of nature in full glory!
we would come back from these expeditions with renewed energy, me laughing and the dogs panting and happy.

I hope that u meet the stars and Mother Nature in many joyful encounters.
Nij

it's margaret said...

Amen!