Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Hey --let's ditch Advent and make Christmas 40 days long --a continuous surprise party of grace

Joel is cutting out little paper models --building a ship.

I slept in. Well, except when Paeha came in to my room very early this morning --but at least, today, when I showed him what he was expected to do, he did it. He's a smart little dog.

And mostly, I am trying not to think... I am trying to give myself a break. I have too many words and thoughts that need to be weighed and thought out....

And I have a list of things to do that will take me from one end of Main Street to the next. And then some. And I am hoping that the list of things I must do will not crowd out the words and thoughts that need to be weighted and thought out.

At prayer this morning/afternoon (Luke 19:1-10)

Jesus entered Jericho and was passing through it. A man was there named Zacchaeus; he was a chief tax collector and was rich. He was trying to see who Jesus was, but on account of the crowd he could not, because he was short in stature. So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore tree to see him, because he was going to pass that way.

When Jesus came to the place, he looked up and said to him, “Zacchaeus, hurry and come down; for I must stay at your house today.”

So he hurried down and was happy to welcome him.

All who saw it began to grumble and said, “He has gone to be the guest of one who is a sinner.”

Zacchaeus stood there and said to the Lord, “Look, half of my possessions, Lord, I will give to the poor; and if I have defrauded anyone of anything, I will pay back four times as much.”

Then Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because he too is a son of Abraham. For the Son of Man came to seek out and to save the lost.”

Yes, repentance is that easy.
No, repentance is not that easy....

But I do wish the 2%-ers would pay attention... and start to give half their possessions away to the poor --and realize where/when and how they are engaged in defrauding the people --by ripping off their culture, destroying the environment, engaging in soul-and-body-destroying consumerism.

Yes, I am one of those who will continue to lament the consumer frenzy of December. I despise it.

And even so, here, I believe we will put up the Christmas decorations sooner rather than later, sing as many Christmas hymns as we can --I think it would be a marvelous idea to throw the medieval concept of Advent right out the stained-glass window, and have no 'preparation time' for the sudden grace that is the Feast of the Incarnation --and lengthen Christmas to a near 40 day celebration (four weeks of what is currently Advent plus the twelve days of Christmas!). I mean The Resurrection gets 50 days, and we have prep time for that in Lent, which is 40 days.... So, why not give unexpected, unmerited, unmitigated Grace through the Incarnation 40 days --without preparation.... !!! Because, when Grace hits you, who is ever prepared anyway?

Yes. Perhaps I shall begin a movement to petition the Bishops to consider this... and inquire of liturgy scholars and church historians once again to trope up (I am sure I am using trope wrongly --but I think I can stretch it....) the changes of our church calendar, and call for a morphing of it in our present time --all thing considered.

Yes, ditch Advent and make Christmas 40 days of celebration without preparation --a continuous surprise party --in as much as who is ever prepared to such grace?

Grace upon grace upon grace.

Yes.

Off I go.

5 comments:

kishnevi said...

I have a better idea.

Make Christmas and Easter one holiday, and have it last for 365 days.

Once every four years, on February 29, take a break so we can understand what life without the Incarnation and Resurrection is.

Paula said...

Yes.

it's margaret said...

kishnevi --lol!!! --and make every day of the week Sunday!!!

Alyce said...

I've always been in favor of a changed (new?) church calendar. Perhaps a different one every year. One year, we'd spend eight months on Psalms...i.e. learning to pray. Another...we'd settle Paul once and for all. Every once in a while, we'd bring back Advent and Lent...why not?

And while Advent is often incredible..there are some years I don't want to be in dark waiting for light. Maybe this is one of those years for you. Maybe you START in the light. And why not?

susan s. said...

Most folks already spend from Thanksgiving to Christmas day "doing" Christmas. So why not us old stick-in-the-muds? Would that make us too much in the world? I am not sure I could make every day of the week Sunday, though. There's not enough music to keep up! Of course there are many who seem to think that there's too much music already! Can you imagine that?