Wednesday, November 14, 2012

What landscape do you see this morning?

The clouds look like a beach at low tide this morning --that rippled sand where the beach and water meet. And I am remembering the fable I heard once that the branches of trees resemble their roots --that what you see above ground is what is below ground (and I know that's not true because of redwood trees that don't have a deep tap root but merely a magnificent root ball) --but the sky-beach makes me wonder about our earthly boundaries --where does water begin and earth stop --or for that matter, where does water begin and air stop.... rocky, tide pool landmarks....

I am not interested in the science of why the sky looks like rippled beach sand --I am caught up in the wonder and awe that there is low tide above my head --fish ribs strewn every place I look.

And I have noted in the past week as the temperatures have plummeted, that the Rez Dogs --strong, short-lived dogs that live half wild and utterly devoted to their humans, have begun their winter routines --piling up and sleeping in the sun or under a house or porch somewhere during the day, and roving in packs at night --constant roving to keep warm and hunting through the garbage cans or eating the spirit food placed outside so many doors.... spirit food--a taste of everything from the kitchen and placed outside before we humans eat --to share with those things seen and unseen in this place.

And last night, as Mr. Witty and I went out --me keeping an eye out for the subtle moonlit movement of the dogs who leave their footprints in the snow through the backyard and Mr. Witty trailing them with his nose --last night the sky was clear and this time I was prepared to greet the sky with a prayer --my friends Orion and The Dippers... the Milky Way lost in the street lamps and security lights....

Last night the sky was clear, and this morning it is low tide above....

--what will the day bring? --what thing will I see that will take my breath away?

Deacon has said that one of the best things she likes about me is that she gets to see her own world, her everyday childhood home, through new eyes --because it would seem that most can't wait to drive fast through here in order to get back to the trees and things being hidden from view, or to the clamor of the city streets --being bored with the endless openness. But YOU, she says, YOU keep waking me up as we drive --you are always seeing something and making noise about it!

Deacon --shall I run over to your house this morning, bring you some of my cookies I made last night --cookies I tried to make with half the butter/shortening required, so they never went flat but just remained as the cookie-sheet spoonfuls that were put into the oven --shall I bring you some of those and drag you to your door and show you the beach and fish ribs in the sky?


my perfectly round, very tasty, low fat that never went flat oatmeal cookies

Yes, I think I shall --and you will laugh and tease me, but eat my cookies anyway... peppered with cinnamon....

And tonight, we begin the long journey to the graveside for the 20-something young man kicked by the cow --we shall gather when the sun goes down and begin the prayers of a comfort service and share a meal, offering the spirit of the young man some food....

I cannot say whether or not the sky will be clear or whether there will be fish bones and high tides, but I can imagine that the grief will be a landscape all its own... and yet familiar, with landmarks on the horizon upon which I will fix my gaze... and, God willing, find a path across the rough terrain, finding manna for the journey --picking up the falling fish ribs....

At prayer this morning... and when I went back to lift out the part of the Prophet Joel that got me going on fish ribs in the sky, I relented --and went with the gospel instead.... thinking to myself all the time --hey, we have the familiar landscape of The Good Shepherd --why haven't we ever yet had icons and stained glass windows over the altar of the Woman With the Coins....

dang it....

(beginning at Luke 15:1)

Now all the tax collectors and sinners were coming near to listen to Jesus. And the Pharisees and the scribes were grumbling and saying, “This fellow welcomes sinners and eats with them.”

So he told them this parable: “Which one of you, having a hundred sheep and losing one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness and go after the one that is lost until he finds it? When he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders and rejoices. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.’

Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.

“Or what woman having ten silver coins, if she loses one of them, does not light a lamp, sweep the house, and search carefully until she finds it? When she has found it, she calls together her friends and neighbors, saying, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found the coin that I had lost.’

Okay --so I googled for such an image... there are three.... three women searching for the lost coin....
--we can do better.

---sigh...

--so, off I go, picking up fish ribs under the low tide sky with round cookies --off to see Deacon ---God willing, ready to look for landmarks on the horizon in a landscape of grief...

--and Mr. Witty is barking and growling all curled up asleep in his little bed --what dream is it, my little dog? --what dream is it? What landscape do you see this morning?

1 comment:

susankay said...

you and Deacon are blessed to have each other