Saturday, January 26, 2013

slept. ate. played. looked at pretty things.

Been in Rapid.
Vacationing.

We found a really good Mexican restaurant --except they do the hard cracker-like sopapillas instead of the puffy ones that get filled with honey and cream.... Oh well. So we ate flan instead --our favorite dessert anyway. I ate shrimp wrapped in bacon --Joel had a pork burrito with chile verde and loved it. Their guacamole was some of the best. Ever. And we went to our favorite Italian restaurant where I had chicken, artichoke hearts, sun dried tomatoes, zucchini in a spicy olive oil sauce over linguine. I had creme brule for dessert there --another kind of flan, right?! Joel has lasagna.

We saw three movies. I really liked Skyfall. The Hobbit was great --but, obviously not the complete story, which was disappointing. And was bored through most of Lincoln. If I had wanted to watch a parable about politics.... but, I didn't.... so, there we are. I was hoping for more biography --I loved the little bits where Lincoln shared stories. And the conversations between Mr & Mrs Lincoln were good. But otherwise... .

There is the livestock show in town --the place is really full with cowboys having fun --and huge pickups, straw, and livestock. Women in red cowboy boots. Little boys in bolo ties.

We took Teeny Weeny and Itty Bitty to the park, and they ran, and ran, and ran. It's the first substantial above-freezing weather we've experienced since Thanksgiving --and I'm talking temperatures in the 50s. They are loving it. When we left Eagle Butte, it was 3 degrees. When we got to Rapid, it was 40. And there I was in long underwear and snow boots. There's not even any snow on the ground here --it's the tropics of South Dakota.

We've slept. Ate. Played. Looked at pretty things. --oh, and I got a massage and re-entered my body... if you know what I mean. After the massage, I asked the young woman --do you do this as a spiritual ministry. Yes, she said. It show, I said. Thank you. The 'spa' was called "Wicked" --but I didn't see Elphaba... or flying monkeys or anything.... Just peace and restoration.

Which was wonderful.
It's all been wonderful.

At prayer this morning (Canticle: A Song of the Wilderness, Isaiah 35:1-7, 10)

The wilderness and the dry land shall be glad, *
the desert shall rejoice and blossom;
It shall blossom abundantly, *
and rejoice with joy and singing.
They shall see the glory of the Lord, *
the majesty of our God.
Strengthen the weary hands, *
and make firm the feeble knees.
Say to the anxious, “Be strong, do not fear! *
Here is your God, coming with judgment to save you.”
Then shall the eyes of the blind be opened, *
and the ears of the deaf be unstopped.
Then shall the lame leap like a deer, *
and the tongue of the speechless sing for joy.
For waters shall break forth in the wilderness *
and streams in the desert;
The burning sand shall become a pool *
and the thirsty ground, springs of water.
The ransomed of God shall return with singing, *
with everlasting joy upon their heads.
Joy and gladness shall be theirs, *
and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.
There we are.
Off I go.

3 comments:

JCF said...

"The Hobbit was great --but, obviously not the complete story, which was disappointing. And was bored through most of Lincoln."

Huh. I was entirely gripped by Lincoln, and bored by The Hobbit. What makes horse races, I guess...

Anonymous said...

Dear Margaret: I was "introduced" to you by Fr. Dan Rondeau, and have been enjoying your blog for almost a year, I guess. You reach me, and teach me, and heal me - thank you. I will continue to remember you and your parishioners in my prayers, and I'm so glad you are recharging on vacation! God bless you and your ministry.

Carole

it's margaret said...

JCF --ain't it the truth!

Hi Carole! Glad to "meet" you. Fr. Dan is amongst the very best --and St. Margaret's is always in my prayers! God bless you!