Tuesday, January 1, 2013

So, here we go!

Happy New Year!
--and many blessings in the year to come!


I have no New Year resolutions other than the usual few --you know, lose weight, exercise more, tell my beloved every day how much I love him and what a blessing he is to me and how much I love our life together... to be aware of and consciously grateful for every day.

But then there is the biggy that lurks in my mind --write the damn book. At least try. To do so would mean to carve a space out here --because we really cannot afford to go any where. So, that would mean not answering the phone --and putting a locked gate up across the walk to our front door --and that would take tremendous discipline to follow through on both of those things....

Joel says that's impossible.... But shouldn't I at least try?!

--and I really would like some time at home. I love being home.

So, there we are.
Not like that is really anything...

I was talking with someone yesterday. And they were talking about the children in their house --they said, I asked her --So, what do you want to be when you grow up?

That's a typical question to ask a 5 year old, right? And the typical answer --policeman, fireman, ballerina, teacher, doctor, mommy --you know, right?

This child's answer to 'what do you want to be when you grow up? --was 'I want to grow up.'

That is an immeasurable response to be celebrated here on the Reservation. The vision, the desire just to even grow up.... So many of the children don't even have that vision, what with all the hopelessness and despair and all that they see around them. Most children here have been to more funerals and seen more dead bodies and lost more friends, uncles, aunts and perhaps a parent by the time they are ten than most forty year-olds off-Rez.

Truly.

So, 'I want to grow up' is to be celebrated. We should throw a party --we should make her queen of Eagle Butte --queen of the rodeo --open a college account for her.... Her ancestors endured and survived government sanctioned genocide, starvation, racism so that she might survive... I hope/pray/work so that her children and their children's children might thrive.

Maybe I need to change my resolutions for the year.... No, better yet, find the spiritual discipline to actually undertake them --not for my sake alone, but for the sake of the ones I love and serve --as a living sign among them --because we are one in all the ways that really matter.

--aye matey... there's the rub... But shouldn't we all undertake something life-giving, life-striving as a living sign of God's glory and grace in the world?

At prayer this morning (beginning at Colossians 2:6)
As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.

See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the universe, and not according to Christ.

For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily, and you have come to fullness in him....

--continue to live your lives in him --abounding in thanksgiving --in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily, and you have come to fullness in him...

Yowza.

Geeeeeeeeeez!

There's glory for ya.

And reason enough that even when I blow my resolutions in three weeks, to pick myself up, brush it off, and begin again --'till it come out right...




Not my usual style --but it works today:




And congratulations to S&I who got engaged sometime in the wee hours of this fine morning!



And --it says 60% chance of snow outside --but the sky is the brightest blue I have seen yet.

So, I will end where I began...


Happy New Year!
--and many blessings in the year to come!

10 comments:

Fran said...

Happy new year and every good blessing to you!

A book... oh yes. Please. I will pray about this for you, and the creation of time and space in which this book might happen.

May we all have the desire to grow up, may we all have the desire to grow. Special prayers for you and for Joel, and forthose to whom you minister with such tender and compassionate presence.

it's margaret said...

Fran!! --and also with you m'dear! Also with you!

JCF said...

Happy New Year . . . and Write the Damn Book! [If it helps to ask: what sort of Damn Book are you inspired to write?]

it's margaret said...

JCF --I'm thinking theological reflections --like these...

Prairie Soul said...

Happy New Year, Margaret--and to Joel as well!

You know, you're already writing the book.

it's margaret said...

Happy New Year to you too Prairie Soul! --and yes, exactly.

Nij said...

Happy New Year to you and Joel and the pups and the whole rez! There, did I miss anyone?

Re: the book, I think it's a matter of sorting and organizing-n'est-ce pas? :>)

nijalDanim 8919

it's margaret said...

8919 and counting!

Grandmère Mimi said...

A Blessed and Happy New Year to you and Joel and the doggies. Write that book!

it's margaret said...

Working on it Grandmere!