Tuesday, January 29, 2013

things seen and unseen

Well... I'm disappointed in the storm. It promised snow, but we got only about 1/2" of the stuff --sticky and wet, that stuck to the dogs' feet in little snow balls that had to be combed out. And I can sit here with my coffee in the sun in my living room, and look out to the south-east, and see it snowing in buckets. A friend wrote and said they got 6" of the stuff... well, dang.

My weather gadget says it will snow again today, with accumulation up to 1" --but in the sun shine, and what I can garner from the radar gadgets available to me --I don't think so. Unless there is something hidden --a snow spirit somewhere....

Which reminds me --last October, Joel and I drove to the County buildings and got his South Dakota handicap parking permit to replace his Virginia one --the blue and white eight by three thick plastic card that hangs from the rear view mirror --and then we drove to Mobridge and shopped, using the permit, and then came home. Then the next time we went shopping, and I stuck my hand in to the compartment where we keep the permit --the South Dakota parking permit was missing. We ransacked the car, lifting, sorting, searching --and we couldn't find it.

So, we went to Rapid, and were going to park in the handicap parking place next to the hotel (it is all on-street 2-hour parking near the hotel --the parking lot being several blocks away), and I reached in to the compartment for the Virginia handicap parking permit which we still had (good until 2016) --and bottabing... I pulled out the South Dakota permit....

What the.... ???!!!! We were astounded --plumb knocked off our rockers.... How could it have been in there for four months, and we not see it or feel it.... plain impossible. Impossible.

And, yet, there it was.

You tricked me, I said to Joel --you found it somewhere and put it back there. No, he said, I was just going to say the same thing to you --you tricked me. And we poked each other with our fingers --You. No, You. And we laughed and laughed.

And, so, we blamed the Little People --or a spirit that must live in the garage....

Probably a kindred spirit to the snow spirit that took our snow and gave it to the people living south-east of us.... Which might mean that our snow will show up here sooner or later.... maybe.

At prayer this morning (from Mark 6, ending at verse 13)

Then he went about among the villages teaching. He called the twelve and began to send them out two by two, and gave them authority over the unclean spirits. He ordered them to take nothing for their journey except a staff; no bread, no bag, no money in their belts; but to wear sandals and not to put on two tunics.

He said to them, “Wherever you enter a house, stay there until you leave the place. If any place will not welcome you and they refuse to hear you, as you leave, shake off the dust that is on your feet as a testimony against them.”

So they went out and proclaimed that all should repent. They cast out many demons, and anointed with oil many who were sick and cured them.

In the meantime, we pray for the animals and growing things that continue to suffer drought conditions. We pray for those things seen and unseen --those hidden and incomprehensible things, the spirits. For D who will have to have a foot amputated tomorrow --up to the knee; for the family gathered over in the church last night and this morning to bury another baby; for all those whom we love but see no longer; for all those in one of those limbo places or trying places of transition; for the People of God whom I serve; for grace and courage and perseverance... in thanksgiving for all those things missing that are found....

Amen.

No comments: