Saturday, February 9, 2013

Probably.

I had put the stepping stones to avoid the ice pond by our stoop --now, the stepping stones are embedded in ice, and the ice extends two feet beyond where I had put the first one....

And, thus began our morning walk.... And I'm trying to figure out how to break up this ice pond which grew yesterday --almost doubled in size. And do it before our blizzard hits this evening.

Yes, we have been warned --over and over again. We are on the edge of the storm --between getting six inches of snow or getting a foot of snow, depending where the edge drifts --either further east or further west. And the winds will be over 75 mph, but that is not uncommon here --it just means that I probably WON'T be going to Cherry Creek --which makes me sad.... Very. Sad.

It also makes me wonder about the funeral on Sunday night --when we will be in the thick of it.... Storm is supposed to last until Monday morning. It will be interesting.

In the meantime, I will plan for the baptism at St. John's for the Sunday morning service.... Maybe. And last time there was a storm coming through --we were the only church open on that snow Sunday morning --and the church was packed. We'll see.

I suppose even if I had been here 20 years, I wouldn't know what to expect. What happens is what happens. Always. I never wear a watch --that was a given. Knew that before I arrived here. But the being ready for anything and ready to do a 1-80... or something entirely different --that is a skill set I am  only beginning to appreciate in a full way. Always thought I had it in me --but, pulling it out has been an adventure. To say the least.

So... Baptism. Probably--maybe. Cherry Creek Holy Eucharist. Probably not. Funeral. Probably. But how it's going to play out... will require we all dance the limbo and be subject to the storm.

And the pond by my front door --instead of going to the gym, I'm going to try to break that thing up --and carry it far, far away from my stoop..... I don't want three inches of ice covered with six inches of snow right at my door.... That's the plan, anyway. Probably. We'll see....

At prayer this morning (from Mark 9)
And they brought the boy to him [Jesus]. When the spirit saw him, immediately it convulsed the boy, and he fell on the ground and rolled about, foaming at the mouth.

Jesus asked the father, “How long has this been happening to him?”

And he said, “From childhood. It has often cast him into the fire and into the water, to destroy him; but if you are able to do anything, have pity on us and help us.”

Jesus said to him, “If you are able! All things can be done for the one who believes.

Immediately the father of the child cried out, “I believe; help my unbelief!”

All things can be done! --Help my unbelief!

One cannot change one's own mind and thought and heart and belief --it requires a willingness to be changed --to be open... to mix in the probablys and maybes and what ifs with a good dose of whatever and of course. Of. Course. And be ready for anything... be ready to see trees walking. be ready to hear the voice of God from those we despise. be ready to eat with the unclean. be ready to see life when we thought there would only be death. be ready to let go and not cling....

Probably.

Off I go --to move some ice. Maybe. Probably. Hopefully.




3 comments:

Joel said...

And be ready for anything... be ready to see trees walking. love it! Scary though.

susankay said...

So hard to give up the myth of control -- I am particularly fond of it altho not so much as when I was younger. We are up at a ski "resort" with daughter and family and perhaps will be able to get down to Durango through a blizzard tomorrow. Main concern is I only brought meds through tomorrow. But I have oxygen thingy and will survive - perhaps.

Alyce said...

Warm prayers, Margaret. The storm is just hitting here in Saint Paul as I get the dogs out, eat breakfast, look over the choir music for today, and read a bit of our Lenten study THE POWER OF PARABLE by Crossan.