Saturday, February 2, 2013

the sacred is not someplace else....

The National Weather Service In Rapid City Has Issued A Wind
Advisory...Which Is In Effect From 8 AM This Morning To 6 PM Mst
This Evening.

• Timing...Northwest Winds Will Increase Through The Morning
Hours...With The Strongest Winds Expected During The Afternoon.
Winds Will Diminish Rapidly After Sunset.

• Winds...Northwest Winds Of 25 To 35 Mph With Gusts To 50 Mph.

• Impacts...Sudden Wind Gusts Can Cause Drivers To Lose Control...
Especially In Lightweight Or High Profile Vehicles.

Wind --on top of about an inch of new snow....

Last night we went to Sister K's house (RC nun serving on a three-year medical mission at the hospital here), and were joined by the UCC pastor --and Joel and myself --and we discussed Simone Weil's (pronounced "Vay") ideas of personal/impersonal affliction/suffering sacred/impure --a reading we assigned to ourselves.

I loved sitting back and listening --to how our hearts try to describe the hints of glory we have seen... how we wrestle to find the words that reveal our desire for union with God... .

As the evening deepened and we pushed the languages of our Traditions and histories in to the folds of the sofa and chairs, the heavens opened up and it began to snow. Soft. Obliterating. Snow. The in-dwelling myths of our selves. Shawled in the dark night of light snow.

Is there such a thing as an "old" soul? Is there such a thing as a "big" soul? Is there such a thing as a "new" or "little" soul? What is re-incarnation in light of the Incarnation?

--how do I know those things --those glimmers of experience that are not my own, but have a place within me?

--how do I experience the divine? --the sacred?

--is the divine, the sacred set apart from the mortal --no part of the impure (for lack of a better word --and a word Weil uses)?

And I return to the vision of Mary, Theotokos --the God-bearer, giving birth to God in all those things which might be categorized as impure --unmarried and therefor conceived in a state of "sin"; borne in pain and suffering through the labor of real blood, sweat and tears; homeless, crude --amongst the animals and become known to those who could not keep the Law....

All Truth, all Beauty, all Good --whatever.... the Divine, the Sacred ...made known in the filth of a stable amongst the outcasts and sinners.

The radical, cutting edge of that revelation drives me to a place where I cannot give a separate and special place to the Holy. The Holy/Divine/Sacred. Cannot be known or experienced. Except among/by/with/through us.

The Kingdom is upon us. Not some other place or other time. It is here. And now. Not despite pain and death and suffering and oppression --but betwixt and among it all.

The event of the cross tore the veil between the sacred and the profane... the cosmos ruptured as the Eighth Day of Creation died in to being.... I don't want heaven or paradise or nirvana. I want life. Eternal life.

And such life is as common as bread... bread, shared. Broken. And shared.

At prayer this morning (John 8:31-36)
Then Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, “If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”

They answered him, “We are descendants of Abraham and have never been slaves to anyone. What do you mean by saying, ‘You will be made free’?”

Jesus answered them, “Very truly, I tell you, everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin. The slave does not have a permanent place in the household; the son has a place there forever. So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.”

Hey God, it's margaret. Just think'. I am a slave to sin, truth be told. But you know that already. And, last night, with the snow, I knew again that I am free --truly free, because you came and took all sin to yourself... therefor, because of sin and brokenness, I am yours. And that perfection or bliss or whatever --I am not able to attain, except for those moments you break in to my stable, and then I am whole. Why I know that because of snow is beyond me --except, there it is. And so, today, I will arise, and go move the snow around --striving to remake the world you have already made --and ponder what 'free' means in the labor I have set before me.

And, God --I am so thoroughly grateful that you have taken all sin... and, as the story goes, made us One with you --not because we are sinless, but because you are all in all....

Off I go.
Perhaps I shall make a snowman?
Probably not in 50mph gust.... right.

3 comments:

Joel said...

All Truth, all Beauty, all Good --whatever.... the Divine, the Sacred ...made known in the filth of a stable amongst the outcasts and sinners."

There! Not only there, but THERE!, in the midst of it all is The Place, for THERE IS NO OTHER PLACE in God. Laus Deo! AND, GLORY, by, with, in and through the Midst of Earthly Stuff! Amen!

Terrifying isn't it!

susankay said...

Perhaps snow angels in the wind? Now-ness. Here/there-ness. And fun.

Ann said...

I loved the way the Jesuits, the nuns, the traditionals and I could work together - especially with families from the various traditions -- at the times of death and other important occasions. And just to talk. Sr Theresa and I would have tea in between.